Friday, September 4, 2015

I call bullsh#t

Hello lovelies, it's been a while since I've done a blog post. I've been going through a lot of stuff in my personal life. Recently, I've had two deaths hit me tremendously hard, and to be honest, it's been kind of hard for me to get back on my feet. Plus, school is back in session. So, yeah, you know, there's that.

However, upon my nightly surfing of the interwebs, by that; I mean wasting my free-time stalking Facebook like I don't have other, more productive things that I could be doing. But, I digress, I wound up finding this. This is a video by Youtube personality Nicole Arbour entitled "Dear Fat People," with a caption underneath that reads: What we've all wanted to say to fat people.

I read a lot of comments online before actually watching the video. Tons of body positive activists that I follow shared the video and they all had their own bit to say about it. I read good comments, bad comments, and a lot of stuff in between that sat somewhere in between. Going into this video, I pushed the comments aside and decided to have the most open mind and clear head that I possibly could.

Until.....I was able to call bullsh#t literally under a MINUTE into the video where Nicole Arbour states and I quote:

"Fat shaming is not a thing. Fat people made that up, that's the race card with no race."
-Nicole Arbour, September 4th, 2015

Okay, so fat shaming just "doesn't exist," right? That's what Arbour would have you believe. Though I vastly disagree with this notion, I tried to keep an open mind and say to myself "okay, I don't agree, but she is more than entitled to her opinion: it isn't my job to like it or agree. However, when, only a minute later Arbour completely contradicts herself. Within one minute she completely throws her argument out the window by pretty much saying saying "oh yeah, fat shaming, that's brilliant we're going to SHAME you until you change."

Well, Ms. Arbour, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, duckie, that's all well and good. However, I am also entitled to mine, and I have no problem expressing it:

After watching your video, I have this to say of you, yanno...since we want to make assumptions about an entire person's dignity and humanity off of only one, singular aspect of their bodies: you are a deplorable person. You say first, that fat shaming is a made up concept and wave it off as if it means nothing to no one, then comment on it's sheer brilliance.

Well, you see, the issue that I take with that as an English Literature major? Is that EVERYTHING, LITERALLY EVERYTHING that we do, say, and comprehend in this world is just a man made concept. The fact that you are called thin, is a man made concept, the fact that I am called fat or obese is a man made concept, the fact that we call the sky blue, grass green, and people with mental handicaps are all man made handicaps. That's why; dictionaries are constantly changing, that is why they have words consistently taken in and out of them quicker than a two bit whore can turn a trick, and that is why our language is so magical, irritating, and complex. 

May I ask you why, a woman who seemingly displays so much "confidence" -because I'm sure that's what you like to call that- would disable comments for your video where you publicly shame an entire group of people. Hm...."Dear SLUTS," and many of your other videos no not have disabled comments yet this video does? Yet, you say that you're just trying to be people's "ride or die" someone who will always keep it honest and tell you the gut wrenching truth that all of us fat f*cks needs to hear, right? Well, what if your new found obese ride or dies need to leave you a Youtube comment? Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, disabling Youtube comments would force them all to get off their lazy arses and burn some calories by switching from Youtube to Facebook just to get a response from you, my bad babe.

I want to be mad at this video, but I'm not. I would like to say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. You are the type of person that people like me have to deal with all the time. The thin, beautiful, girl who thinks that she can rap being a gigantic bi*ch in a pretty ribbon and present it to the world. Meghan Tonjes said it best in this video that she made in response.

"It's the mindset that I find really upsetting...lazy comedy wrapped in health and concern trolling tied in a fucking privilege bow."
-Meghan Tonjes. September 4th, 2015


Tonjes also points out that changing your body on a diet that is fueled by self-hatred and shame will get you no where. I can personally attest to that. I grew up shamed. As a young girl, growing bigger and bigger due to steroids being pumped through my body to get my asthma control, and the terrible, terrible relationship that I had with food; from binge eating to starving myself, shame did nothing for me. Yes, I lost weight, five pounds here, ten year, but when the weight of that hatred, that self-loathing, that immense, and painful shame that I carried with me in my heart, soul, mind, and body took its toll I showed my body the utmost hatred and harm in response. I did things to my body that I can never take back, yes, scars fade from the body but the mind never forgets that pain, neglect, and sorrow. 

So, fat shamers, you can come at me, I'll leave the comments open, I have no problem with wasting my breath trying to educate as many people as I can. I'm not going to hide behind fake concern. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that being fat hasn't had it's challenges. HOWEVER, the number one challenge that I have with being fat is people like you. People that share your poisonous, harmful, and degrading mindset. People, like you, who decided that SOMEHOW, my fat is magically your problem or issue to deal with. The people who hide behind their fortified walls of concern for people's health the world over when in all actuality, they want to use social media as a means to try and destroy the dignity of other humans. 

Yeah, your body has to carry you to the end, so what does it matter to you what mine looks like so long as it gets me where it has to go. Did you give this little Youtube speech to the "fat family" at the airport, I mean, they were so gargantuan I'm sure you were flooded with immense concern, right? Yeah, thought so. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow...just wow! Thank you for this. I've had this problem with someone who I thought was a friend who tried to tell me that me being overweight was a 'disease'
    I'm not the smallest of girls and I do carry a bit of weight which I constantly have a battle with, so yeah, way to kick while I'm down. Its taken me nearly 10 years (since I started putting weight on) to start liking myself the way I am. Another friend said to me the other day that if I wanted to lose some weight I should do it for myself and not anyone else, that's if I wanted to lose weight or did I feel comfortable the way I am at the moment? I was proud of myself and a little surprised to answer: 'I'm comfortable with the way I look right now'
    I hate all this 'fat shaming' that someone out there has come up with, and yet most of the people doing and saying it chose to hide behind a bloody computer screen.
    Again, thank you for this, you well and truly hit the nail on the head.

    Brogan xx

    broganjay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that video without knowing what is was. A friend had posted it on fb & to be honest that hurt more than some sub par comedian saying those things. Needless to say the stuff she said was horrid, but what really struck me was how pathetic she is. She's not funny & it's certainly not original. She just appears to be purposely offensive to get some attention. I saw her reply to critics on buzzfeed in which she said it's satire, so she clearly doesn't even know what satire is. My overall opinion was that she's kind of desperate. Sad, really.

    ReplyDelete